Well Happy Late Thanksgiving everyone!! I'm in South Carolina for a few days spending the time with my partner's sister, her husband and two kids. It's a break from being a little bit further down south back home. I had two personal days I needed to take before the end of the year and scheduled the time around now so I could enjoy them and get out of the house on a visit.
Here's a few more snippets:
(1) I'm glad President Obama pulled off another election victory. I was a bit surprised in my inner circle of friends back home who said he'd easily do it. I really thought at this point we'd be hearing blather upon blather from Mitt Romney but I'm glad to say that didn't happen. I can't image what he'd have to say about now even before he was President. I do say that Obama has my best interest at heart...and I'm glad he's our President. Certainly he's not perfect but Romney would have been far less perfect for me and my life than Obama. Here's hoping this next term is better for Obama than his last one.
(2) We thought to go into Walmart and check into the sites and sounds of shopping on Thanksgiving since the store was open close to where my partner's sister lives. Early on in the day there were only a few people shopping. Parking was close to the store. Registers were open and all was calm and cool and collected. Later in the night, around 8:30 p.m. the parking lot was completely packed and people were driving around searching for elusive parking spots around the entire Walmart. I'm sure if it was that chaotic at the store parking lot the inside of the store was even worse. I'm not one to stand in line or fight crowds for any bargains. In fact, at this point in my life, I have nearly everything I want/need to exist. But kudos to those Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy shoppers who are so dedicated. Just mark me as one that isn't that into Black Friday shopping and chaos.
(3) The kittens that were dropped off on the dirt road seem to be doing well. One of my previous who lives in Georgia coworkers adopted one and she seems to be doing really well. The other two, a gray kitten and a gray and white kitten seem to be doing quite well in life at my partner's sister's place of business back in lower Alabama. We had a chance to seem them through the glass window last weekend. They seem to grow so fast and still look as cute as they used to when they were very small. I'm going to see if I can get pictures of them again soon to post.
(4) I didn't spend Thanksgiving with my actual biological familiy this year. Instead, my partner and I talked about visiting his sister in South Carolina and we confirmed she was okay with the visit so we hopped in the car and drove the six or seven hours up to see her. And it was time well spent. It's actually kind of nice to be in a household that holds the same liberal beliefs that I do and be around a family that is so welcoming and encouraging and affirming. So I'm sure it's nice to spend time with your own family but I told my sister when I politely declined her invitation that we'd try to have another meal sometime not on Thanksgiving so we could all get the family together. I'm of the unusual opinion that you can be a family more than just one day out of a year that is a recognized holiday. We'll see how that goes.
(5) Speaking of sister, I have two sisters and I recently told the remaining sister that I was gay...but I said it by email instead of in person. I figured she'd have no problems with it...which she didn't...but it's nice to have the one remaining family member aware. Perhaps that will draw us a little closer together at some point int he future. Now at least I don't have to hide around when I talk with my partner and she's around nor do I have to try to find out excuses of why I'd rather stay around him than come and visit her home on Thanksgiving. My partner enjoys his family quite a bit and really doesn't have a lot of personal friends he keeps in regular contact with at this point in time. But I feel I'm pretty social and I enjoy having friends. So I think there's a balance there and it's just nice to have the remaining closet door opened to my sister now.
(6) I think Black Friday shopping is a bit overrated. There's something wrong about standing in lines all night to get a slight discount on merchandise at stores that open or stay open on Thanksgiving. I tend to think the electronics marketplace is a bit over saturated with merchandise and stuff all coming in from China to meet the needs of the consumers. I do admire people that enjoy that but it's just not for me. I'd much rather just sleep in my cozy bed and wake up and get on with my life.
(7) The job is still going well. I'm a bit wondering how long the current job will last. The company I work for is sort of in a dying stage...without giving much to detail...they support a dying product that has completely evolved from the early days to the modern days. An HR person took me aside a few weeks ago encouraging me to look for work elsewhere because it is possible my position and that of the company in my location would possibly be reducing staff again and shutting down. So I looked for work and even had an interview with a company he suggested. That's one other thing that is annoying. If you interview, why can't a person bother to call you back or give you regular updates on a status of a job opportunity when they know you are interested. And from what I heard they were interested in me. All I get is silence. I emailed the person who interviewed me on 11/07 and he said he'd get back in touch with me quickly regarding the employment opportunity but I didn't hear anything back. Perhaps it's me being obsessive but I like to know what's going on so I email him back again and he replies saying he is waiting for his boss to be in town so they can coordinate another interview. But again nothing happens on it. I guess all people that do interviews don't realize the sense of closure job seekers sometimes want like me. But we'll see...maybe it will still be available in the future. I'm just not so sure...but I'm okay with it at this point. I'm enjoying my current job and while I hope I still have a job in a year from now...if something happens, so it goes.